This post again features guest chef, the guy, manning the kitchen.
He said this is one of his favorite salads, the other one being the spicy Thai-ish salad.
I can’t really say the exact measurements for the ingredients, as he was just chopping, slicing and mixing away without measuring.
50g Blue cheese – chopped
3 pcs – Beef fillet – sliced (about 0.230 grams)
Cucumber – sliced
Cherry tomatoes – halved
Onion – sliced
Salt & pepper to taste
Mix lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and onions together.
Put the cheese on top of the salad, set aside.
Cooking the beef:
Brush the meat with oil
TOP TIP: Don’t add oil to the pan because it will smoke.
Sprinkle with ground pepper and salt to taste.
Heat your grill pan on high heat.
Tip: To make sure your pan is of correct temperature for grilling steak, a drop of water on the pan should evaporate in 3 seconds.
Cook the seasoned side of the meat for 2 to 3 minutes depending on the thickness. While doing so, sprinkle salt and pepper on the un-seasoned side.
Flip it over and cook for another 3 minutes.
Chop the meat to strips.
Then mix the meat with the salad, set aside.
Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Whisk the mixture to create an emulsion as vinegar and oil don’t really mix.
Pour the salad dressing in…
Gently mix the salad with your hands and pile it high on a nice plate
Serve and enjoy! =)
Notes and lessons learned:
1. Medium rare meat is quite good. I used to prefer well done meat.
2. Beef fillet can be bought in Carrefour. RMB19.93 for 2 pcs or 0.162grams.
3. Blue cheese is also available in Carrefour, RMB 24.80 for 100 grams. (Used only half of this)
Very good with red wine.
4. Surprise, balsamic vinegar is also available in Carrefour for about RMB 20-30. Olive oil was our company giveaway gift.
5. This is how to whisk the salad dressing. Yes, I had to post this because I was just stirring it when the guy showed me that this is how it’s done.
On another note, am I posting too many photos? Feels like the cooking process flow is lost because of too much photos.