It’s been a long while since I’ve blogged. It’s National Day here in China and we get October 1-9 off. Hopefully, we’d be able to post more food in the following days.
Last weekend, we were invited to a friend’s BBQ party (blog about previous BBQ here) just before it gets too cold here in Beijing, so me and Royal Chef contemplated on what to throw in the grill to make the most out of the BBQ.
Royal Chef said he wanted to grill lamb patties, so Lamb Burger it is.
After searching the internet for lamb burger recipes, Royal Chef has decided on Lamb Burger with Cucumber Relish.
Lamb meat can be a bit too fragrant, so cumin and mint makes it a little bit balanced as well as the cucumber makes it refreshingly crunchy and nice.
500 grams ground lamb
1/4 minced white onion
1 medium garlic clove minced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
4 burger buns
1. Combine all the ingredients except bread in a large bowl until evenly incorporated and form into 4 patties
2. Once grill is hot, cook each side for about 7-10 minutes or until juices run clear (to know if juices run clean: prick meat with sharp knife, if it’s still bloody, then obviously it’s not clear).
3 cucumbers, peeled, in small cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup yogurt
2 tbsp wine vinegar
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp whole coriander seed, crushed to a powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Cut cleaned cucumbers into small dice and place in a colander set over a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and toss to coat. Weight down cucumbers by setting a bowl on top, and let drain for 10 minutes. Occasionally press down on the plate to extract excess water.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, vinegar, mint, sugar, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium mixing bowl, stirring until evenly combined.
- Add to yogurt mixture, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Assemble lamb burger by grilling the burger buns, place lamb patty and top it with cucumber relish.
Photos are taken from two instances that we made lamb burger. It was so good last BBQ that we made another batch just the other day.
Ground lamb meat, onion (that we “chopped” with the blender, which wasn’t a good idea because it made the patty too moist), garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt.
Cumin – what most Muslim restaurants here sprinkle on their lamb BBQ.
Coriander seeds – very itchy to the nose while pounding them in the 2RMB mortar and pestle.
We were able to make seven patties from 600 grams of lamb meat.
For the Cucumber Relish:
In a bowl: yogurt, salt, vinegar, sugar, coriander seed, cumin, cayenne pepper and fresh mint.
Mix the little cubed cucumber in..
Refreshingly crunchy cucumber relish.
Royal Chef is happy with the lamb burger.