New Year’s was spent in the hometown (Dagupan) and Royal Chef cooked for the family. Menu was spaghetti meatballs, shrimp tempura, beef fajita with salsa and guacamole, baked potatoes, and chocolate mousse for desert.
Baked potatoes weren’t actually in the menu but my aunt asked Chef how it is done because whenever she makes it, it seems like it’s never right. They mentioned the Wendy’s baked potato style (to which I never heard and tried). And so, Chef made some baked potatoes!
Potatoes – 5 pcs
Cheese – grated
Bacon – fried to crisps; crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Thoroughly poke the potatoes with a fork.
2. Microwave the potatoes in high heat for 30 minutes. Be careful and check on the microwave from time to time as our microwave made weird grunting sounds 28 minutes in.
3. Remove the potatoes from microwave. Brush a thin layer of oil on the potatoes and sprinkle salt. Place them in a pre-heated oven for 30-45 minutes; high heat for the first 15-20 mins then lower the heat for the rest of the time.
4. Remove the potatoes and slice each in half. Be careful as it’s really hot.
5. Scoop the potato out in a bowl while maintaining the potato shell intact.
6. Mash the potato and mix butter, some cheese, bits of crushed bacon and salt in.
7. Re-scoop the mashed potatoes in the shell, sprinkle cheese and crushed bacon on top. Re-heat in oven for a few minutes.
8. Serve hot and enjoy!
Sweaty potatoes in the microwave
Scooping the potato insides out… be careful it’s hot!
Hot and cheesy!