1 small pumpkin – deseeded and chopped into chunks
1 white onion – diced
thumb-sized piece of ginger – chopped
3 cloves garlic – chopped
2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds – ground
1/2 tsp crushed chili
1.5 liter vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
Garnish: 2 spoonful yogurt/sour cream and croutons
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C. Put chopped pumpkin on a pan, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast until tender (40 minutes); set aside.
2. In a pot, slowly sweat (i.e. gently fry) the onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil for a 2 minutes, add cumin coriander and chili and cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
3. Mix roasted pumpkin in the pot and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes; let it cool.
5. Pour cooled soup in blender; blend til smooth.
6. Pour soup back in the pot to reheat, season to taste.
Best served with bread and butter. Yum!
*Croutons – chop stale bread into squares, gently fry in oil until crisp.
From left: roast the pumpkin; fry with the onions for a little bit; add vegetable stock; and simmer for 20 minutes.
Oh so creamy and filling!