We’ve been slurping soup the past few weeks and it’s been a great warmer as Beijing still haven’t turned on the heating yet.
Personally, I prefer the clear Southern Chinese soup as compared to creamy, velvety, and thick Western soup. But nevertheless, I’d give this a 7.5.
3 large leeks – sliced into thick rings
3 medium potatoes – chunks
1 1/2 litres vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
a spoon of yogurt and fried leek tips for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a pan, tip the leeks in and slow cook for 10-20 minutes until soft.
2. Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes before pouring the stock; bring to boil and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
3. Let the soup cool for a bit; pour into a food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Pour the contents back to the pan and heat for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with yogurt and fried leek tips.
5. Enjoy! Be careful, it’s scalding hot!!
Before and after.